Fire Extinguisher Safety Tips for Hilo?
Aloha! Hilo locals and businesses have relied on SERVPRO® of Hawaii |SERVPRO® of Maui to restore fire damage for over twenty years! Knowing how to operate a portable fire extinguisher can save lives and minimize the damage when there is a small fire. Here are some fire extinguisher safety tips from the National Fire Protection Association:
- To operate a fire extinguisher, remember the word PASS:
- Pull the pin. Hold the extinguisher with the nozzle pointing away from you, and release the locking mechanism
- Aim low. Point the extinguisher at the base of the fire
- Squeeze the lever slowly and evenly
- Sweep the nozzle from side-to-side
- For the home, select a multi-purpose extinguisher (can be used on all types of home fires) that is large enough to put out a small fire but not so heavy as to be difficult to handle
- Choose a fire extinguisher that carries the label of an independent testing laboratory
- Read the instructions that come with the fire extinguisher and become familiar with its parts and operation before a fire breaks out
Franchises are independently owned and operated.