Ember Fire in Hawaii?
SERVPRO of Hawaii & Maui responds to fire damage emergencies in the Hilo area throughout the year and has a team of highly trained technicians on call 24 hours a day. Here are some tips from the NFPA for clearing the most vulnerable zone around your home:
- Clean roofs and gutters of dead leaves, debris, and pine needles that could catch embers.
- Replace or repair any loose or missing shingles or roof tiles to prevent ember penetration.
- Reduce embers that could pass through vents in the eaves by installing 1/8 inch metal mesh screening.
- Clean debris from exterior attic vents and install 1/8 inch metal mesh screening to reduce embers.
- Repair or replace damaged or loose window screens and any broken windows screen or box-in areas below patios and decks with wire mesh to prevent debris and combustible materials from accumulating.
- Move any flammable material away from wall exteriors – mulch, flammable plants, leaves and needles, firewood piles – anything that can burn. Remove anything stored underneath decks or porches.
SERVPRO® of Hawaii /SERVPRO® of Maui is Independently Owned and Operated.